A Word from our Sponsors

Monday, October 22, 2007

Oh How I Love That Dirty Water, Boston, You're My Home



What can I say? Dice-K did his job - he doesn't need to be Schilling or Beckett - he just needs to not implode. Okajima and Papelbon were their usual fantastic selves. The offense came through, crushing the Indians' hopes in the eighth. Papelbon put an all-star celebration performance in the postgame.

All I can think about right now is how lucky I am. My dad waited the first 54 years of his life - living through the Impossible Dream, Bucky Dent, Buckner, and the rest of the legendary incompetency - before being graced with a World Series. In the first 19 years of my life, the Red Sox may end up winning two World Series titles. How did I pay my dues? Aaron Boone? That certainly sucked - but the next year's ALCS made up for it. What else is there? Jeter's phantom tag? Those Yankees were just better than the Red Sox - nothing tragic was really involved. If I were a more religious person, I would say I was blessed.

So the Rockies are next. I'll confess that the following conversation occurred between me and my friend while watching an interleague game between the Rockies and the Red Sox at Fenway

"Robie, Do you think there are actually Rockies fans?"
"I guess, I mean, we're still Celtic fans, aren't we?"

A team who I wasn't 100% confident had fans a few months has now one 21 of their past 22 games. Where did this team come from? Who are they? Todd Helton. Troy T. (Not going to try to spell that last name) I can tell you this, I look forward to meeting them.

Other thoughts about the series: Although the Rockies have won 21 of 22, I think it's possible the Sox actually have more momentum cause I think the NLCS ended about five months ago. That aforementioned interleague series was won by Rockies, two games to one, although it's hard to really draw anything meaningful about the series from that.

Oh yea, I'm pretty sure the Rockies are a hockey team.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's only one biggest douche in the universe: Dane Cook.