I don't have much time to write about the Terps' chances in the ACC tournament, so I thought maybe I would just offer some predictions about how things will go overall.
- Florida State over Wake Forest: Wake has gone cold, losing 4 out of their last 5 games. It's a bad time to run into the Seminoles, who recently beat Clemson and closed out with a win over Miami.
- Miami over N.C. State: The Wolfpack is trying to continue their 8-game losing streak, and the Hurricanes won't try to stop them.
- Maryland over Boston College: As poorly as Maryland has played, one win in your last 13 games is pretty terrible, BC.
- Virginia over Georgia Tech: Not only did UVA win this game a week ago, the Yellowjackets are a model of inconsistency, and Sean Singletary is playing dominant basketball.
- North Carolina over Florida State: The Heels beat them 8 days ago, and I see no reason why this would change.
- Miami over Virginia Tech: Last time they played, the Hokies were totally flattened on the boards. They kept it close with good shooting, but I think that they won't get that lucky this time, and Miami will still crash the glass.
- Clemson over Maryland: Both teams are inconsistent, but I don't think the Terps have the spirit to beat the team that delivered one of the program's toughest losses this (or any) season. Yes, I am calling them out. Please prove me wrong.
- Duke over Virginia: Duke has set up their defensive schemes with great discipline this season, and the Cavaliers are just not talented enough to beat them.
- North Carolina over Miami: This should be closer than people think, but it's hard to forget that UNC has only been defeated twice this season, and they're just starting to enter their element (see win over Duke).
- Duke over Clemson: Clemson can beat Duke if they play their best, but the Devils haven't let many teams play their best all season.
This is the game the pundits want: UNC v. Duke III. They split the regular season games, now it's time to decide the real powerhouse in the ACC - and possibly play for a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament.
I predict that the game will be pretty close, but Duke is too reliant on their outside shooting to win this match up again. The Tar Heels are better rebounders, and have better inside players. The Devils might be able to come out with the upset if they can rattle UNC's questionable defense with cutters like Demarcus Nelson and Gerald Henderson, but I would chalk up a No. 1 berth to the tournament right now for Hansbrough and crew.
PROJECTED CHAMP: NORTH CAROLINA
So that's how I think the tourney will go. Hit up the comments, y'all.
Photo Credit: Adam Fried