A Word from our Sponsors

Friday, June 27, 2008

James Gist taken in the NBA Draft

I just have a few small wishes in this world, and several of them have to do with Maryland alumni making it at the professional level of their respective sports.

This spring, I was denied this privilege when linebacker Erin Henderson, the defensive star on Maryland's football squad, went undrafted due to injury concerns. Last night, I was surprised to see this wish fulfilled when James Gist was selected 57th overall by the San Antonio Spurs.

I was pleased enough to even overcome my marked distaste for Tony Parker (because they apparently don't know how to shave in France), Bruce Bowen (because he's dirty) and Manu Ginobilli (because he's just plain annoying).

Nonetheless, I'm happy for Gist and I think all Maryland fans should be. He put a lot of hard work into the last couple months, managing to boost his draft stock in workouts while still being able to graduate. I remember seeing him around on campus a month and a half ago thinking, "Shouldn't you be running drills right now?" But to his credit, he got his education finished off in his four years (unlike most other recent Terps) and the NBA was still there for him. It's an achievement I'll admit that even I undervalue sometimes.

Also, let us not forget that Maryland basketball can use a few bright spots.

Obviously he still has a long way to go before he can make the Spurs roster, but I'm looking forward to reading up on him and following his success. Congrats James Gist, and keep it classy.

3 comments:

Christopher Blunck said...

It's good to see Gist was drafted. Any other Terps get into the NBA?

Christopher Blunck said...

Have you been following any of the Q&A sessions with the football team?

Anonymous said...

Good words.